Wednesday, March 5, 2008

How to: Life

Sometimes I wish I could go to Barnes and Noble and pick up a book titled 'Dave's Ideal Life-Here You Go Dummy'. It would make my life so much easier! Just think: I would never make a mistake again, never take the wrong college course, never make a bad career move, never miss out on good opportunities, always be happy, confident, and successful! I would never have to make a tough decision again. Sometimes I think I'd pay a small fortune just to have a quick peek at that book. 
Then I grudgingly remember that life isn't so much about where you are going as much as how you get there. I know that has been said much more eloquently, by people much more educated than I, but the fact that I consider that every so often when I make a bad decision or lose sight of my goals is incredibly comforting for some reason. Remembering that making mistakes is a big part of how I learn can be somewhat depressing at times and downright daunting at others. 
I tend to be much more hard on myself, much less forgiving of my mistakes, than anyone else in my life and that makes things difficult at times. Forgiving myself for my mistakes is something I never really learned how to do and that includes even the littlest things. When I learn to accept the fact that I will make mistakes and learn to let go of some of my pride and ego I know I will be much better off in this life. 
  

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You sure said a mouthful, and you said it well! Don't underestimate yourself and, yeah, the pride thing is a continuous battle for me!!!
Love you-
Mom

Andrea@Sgt and Mrs Hub said...

I get ya!

Totally laughed because of our conversation yesterday... you crack me up! :)

-Andrea

Anonymous said...

Hey! I noticed you updated your age! I meant to comment on that last time but you musta read my mind-well, I guess you do have to have one to have it read!!!! Ha! Love you-
Mom